Monday, February 8, 2010

Manifesto? (not quite)

2009 is over, and 2010 launched with a vengence! 2009 was a revolutionalry year for me, one in which I have transformed my life, my outlook on life and my_self.

The year could not end better than by reading Freire's "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" (thanks Matt!) and by being given a Hohner Special 20 (thanks dad .. nee .. Santa!)

An aditional thing happened at the end of 2009 - taking off from Austin on the way home, my usual pre-takeoff prayer had no requests, just thanks. I realized that asking her for anything would be greedy. I had what I wanted in life. I was on my path, and I was happy.

Happiness is a choice. Reading Freire, talking to Zan, and being immersed in my brilliantly caring and supportive network of friends, I realized that I can choose to be happy. I can choose to raise above daily annoyances and see the beauty in the world and people. Ignore abrasions, and delight in the smiles and gestures of kindness. I could create a world of imaginary promblems, or one filled with love, respect, kindness, and finger painting.

At this very moment, unwittingly, I opened a can of worms from my past - social activism. Taking a course on educational policy I stumbled upon a point of my life and drive that I shut off for allocating more bandwidth to myself and fixing my own life. Now that my life is fixed, my cosciousness came out calling ... and I cannot ignore it.

I have a number of projects underway. Many of them seek to further my self and fill my life with beauty, ease, and delight (learn harmonica, deep-dive into Austin music, further my photography, travel Western US). Others, are set on furthering my profesisonal goals (get my M.S.; I cannot stop being a nerd, can I?). Finally, others yet, will finally again open my outward eye and immense me in the world, once again. The latest part is the most nascent, but shall be defined shortly and decisively!

My life is full of seemingly dysharmonic pieces, but like the world around us, they fit together beautifully when analyzed from the right angle!

Love. I

No comments:

Post a Comment