Monday, February 8, 2010

Underwear are overrated

I sold my car last October. I did need the money, but I decided, I needed to return to a simpler life where everything is possible. I loved my car, and it was a large part of my life. For me, it was not a possession, it was an experience. However, after four years, it locked me into the lifestyle I disliked.

I was worried about living without a car in Austin. This is not Northeast. We do not have a world-class public transport system. But curiously, I am doing just fine, and fell in love with this town thanks to experiencing it on the bus, on my bike, or by foot.

Last year was revolutionary, and this one change was being built up to all year. The transformation started by cutting up my credit cards, and paying off many of them. Continued by a stubborn refusal to spend money on new "things" opting instead for consignment, and started boiling when I shaved my head and beard, retiring a look I maintained for full eight years.

These gradual changes liberated me from my past lifestyle - one I no longer enjoyed - but also served up a revelation on another level. They exposed to me the extent to which my previous life was dictated by what others expected of me. Get a job, settle down, get a car, buy nice things, be serious. I lived the life that I was supposed to; I followed social norms to the point where this child of Communism, brainwashed by liberals at Oberlin, became a khaki wearing part of the mass of the employees.

Then, amids a turmoil of another topic, I woke up to my inner child throwing a fit, desperately claiming my attention. I realized the precise nature of what I had removed from my life: the simple, self-serving amusement of the world around. The delight in swinging from a jungle gym. The joy of jumping into a puddle. The fascination of engaging in interactions with other people I realized I no longer cared about the opinion of others if they kept me from being happy. My inner child was cranky, and I decided take steps to soothe it down and amuse its senses.

The beauty of social norms is that most of them (all of them?) are completely arbitrary. By virtue of this single feature, they are almost virtually optional. We are free to follow them and free to ignore them. If I do not step on your toys (toes), or play with your sandcastle, why should you care mine looks like Hugh Hefner's bed?

With this mindset, I chose to ignore a defined set of social norms and expectations, and closely examine others. Should I continue my path as an academic or seek a more applied direction? Should I find myself another partner and settle down, or roam the world alone for now and see where it takes me? Do I really need to wear underwear?

Love. I

2 comments:

  1. Spending money on new things is something I've definitely struggled to scale back on consciously. We live in such a capitalist, consumer-driven culture that has an immensely strong pull. Hegemony is a strange beast.

    My goal is to do what feels right for me, to do what I feel does not compromise my integrity based on the things that I value. And in doing that, hopefully I'll find happiness.

    Oh, and I think everyone needs underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rocío, I agree on the spending part. But really it more than spending - it is about living life with ease and delight and doing what is right in all situations: monetary or otherwise. I am no monk. I type this on a pretty nice PC system .. I own things; however, it shames me to know so many people live their lives according to what they feel they are _supposed_ to do. I dislike that with a passion. I still catch myself thinking like that, but I am doing my damnest to move away from it.

    And .. um .. let's a agree to disagree on your last point.

    ReplyDelete